According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Comfort Zone Inc in Cape Coral about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Comfort Zone Inc. A regular inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts open.
Other ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters on a regular basis and change them when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Cape Coral home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Comfort Zone Inc at 239-214-0411 or schedule an appointment online.