Spring is in the air here in Cape Coral and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Comfort Zone, LLC team has some tips that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Comfort Zone, LLC in Cape Coral a call at 239-214-0411.